Sunday, July 18, 2010

Selamat Melam!

Hello!

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.

But quite frankly I have been having far too much fun too blog. But I realize that a lot has gone on and well it'll be fun to blog about it too!

SO

Update 1: I am no longer in Pangandaran, nor am I on the island of Java even. I have moved east to Bali, yay!

Update 2: I met a wicked Swiss couple on my ride from Pangandaran to Jogja, and I have them half convinced to come visit me in Canada next summer. Its awesome.

Update 3: I can not remember my pin number to my bank card, and well Indonesia being a developing country, credit card is not a common option. (Don't worry though folks through the help of the Swiss couple (they pay me in cash when I can use my card, sneaky and clever right? right!), support network on standby and I'm in the process of convincing my hotel it would be a good idea to charge my credit card a whole buncha rupias and giving me the cash. Also clever. I'm not just good looks here folks.)

SO

I left Pangandaran on a friday. Took the train to Jogja, while in Jogja watched the Rama/Cinta play. Its supposed to be like the Indonesian version of Romeo and Juliette. Rama and Cinta are married, she gets kidnapped, he kills a lot of people and saves her. THEN asks her to jump into the fire of purity as he does not feel she is pure anymore. Aka her kidnapper may have had his way with her. I hate Rama, he sucks. What loving husband asks his just kidnapped and help hostage wife to then jump into a fire. Even if something did happen it wouldnt have been her fault. Loser face. Also went to an incredible Hindu temple in Jogja.

The Swiss couple asked if I would stay a night longer and we could all travel to Bromo, the volcano together. I thought about it for two quick seconds and agreed. They are so much fun and its great to have travelling buddies. So we went to Bromo. It was crazy busy touristy and I didn't really get to "feel" the volcano, you know? Sounds hippyish I know but it was sort of a sterile experience. But it was totally worth it to see the sunrise over an active volcano, it was really cool. I also saw Vicky and said hello and we hope to meet in Bali, maybe in Kuta for drinks or dinner or something so thats good!

After Bromo we all headed to Kalibaru. I saw coffee, cacao and rubber trees. There was a local election taking place so all of the factories were closed but we found some people, security guards, of the plantations who were willing to chat with us for a few minutes and answer questions. It was really nice. The coffee plantation had a cafe, or I suppose it still does (lol), and we stayed there as it was POURING (riding motorcycles in the rain is really really really wet) and met some locals and listened to the band. It was really fun.

From Kalibaru we took public transit to Lovina, in northern Bali. Originally I wanted to see the dolphin there but some people said how all the tours are destroying the dolphin's food supply and forcing them further and further into the sea. It rang true as those concerns exist off Vancouver's coast with the whales also so I decided not too. Plus I bought black pearl earrings. They are real, honest. lol. Went to some temples around Lovina and saw a waterfall and now I am in Ubud.

Ubud is the city the author of Eat, Love, Pray lives in when she lives in Indonesia. I had really high expectations of it and I am a little disapointed. Its so touristy and congested and its not the cultural village I had anticipated. I think I did the petasdal thing again, oops? Everything just seems a little dull and hasn't quite lived up to my expectations. I am taking a cooking class tomorrow and am really looking forward to that. Fabienne, the Swiss girl, is taking it with me and I think it's going to be a blast. We get to go to the market and everything! So don't worry I haven't given up the idea that I could have fun here and enjoy myself, not yet anyways ;)

After the cooking class we are going to head over to Kuta. Which I KNOW will be busy and touristy but thats the point of Kuta. Kuta is the Cancun of Indonesia. The Australians I think mostly come over for party party party in Kuta. There is a club there that is outside and looks like the top of a pirate ship, I think its going to be really fun. At the very least it will be a great photo op. :)

I think the plan is to spend three nights in Kuta and then head to Lombok, another island, then the Gili Islands. I am not sure about Lombok, actually the southwestern beaches are supposed to be spectacular, but the Gili Islands are for sure for the beaches. The waters are turquoise and blue and the beaches white and pristine. The beaches here so far are dark sand and littered with trash, so fingers crossed they get prettier.

Its been stressful with the money situation but I think its all sorted now, or will be in the morning and that is a good thing.

I am having so much fun and really am excited that I came, even with all the ups and downs. Tonight I felt grumpy and just needed Amy time so I finished my book and then wandered over to the internet here. Its been nice. I keep thinking I have to do-do-do but part of going away is not-not-not. So I am exploring that and will continue to do so the next couple of days sitting in the sun on the beaches of Kuta. I may even surf again, yes!

I miss you all, and as much as my flight home seems to be approaching quicker and quicker I am a homebody at heart and am looking forward to it as well. I think two months was perfect. We'll see what I am saying august 8th though. Ha-ha!

All my love,
hugs and kisses,
Amy

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I am so glad to hear that you are having such an AmyzIng time!!! so fantastic that you met some new people to travel with, it must be a. Bit of a releif to have some of the family pressures off.

I think I would be super stressed out about the $$$ situation, but it sounds like you've got it under co trol so that's good!

Love and hugs!!
Jessie

Trying also to be one that doesn't stress AND one that misses you!! - Mom said...

Well duckie, so glad that you are having fun and I am starting to stress out that you may just want to be a bum for the rest of your life! Surfing and beaches and plays, oh my!

Glad that you aren't stressing out about anything! May you carry that with you for the rest of your life. Stress just screws you up mentally or physically!! I can't wait to see some of your pics and hear more of your stories.

love you from here to Indonesia and back!!! and that is HUGE!!

Mitch said...

Hey Amykins! Everything sounds great, so pumped for you!

Looking forward to seeing you again, even if you'll be wishing you were still there ;)